Re: Re: Magic items (was Transforming abilities)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:11:21 -0700

> But look at those suggested Combat affinities: Armor of Woad, Enchant
Silver,
> Flickering Blade, Leaping Shield, Overbear Foe, Throw with wind, [Weapon]
Help.

Orlanth Adventurous (Destor) isn't the be-all, end-all of Orlanthi magic!

> None are about using the magic on your opponent. They are about using the
magic to
> help you. This makes perfect sense in the way you previously described the
feel of
> Gloranthan magic.

You think "Overbear foe" can't be cast directly at your enemy? Or "Flickering Blade"? Or make your foe's shield leap out of the way? It all depends on what is happening in the contest, but that's three counter examples from your example of "help you only" feats. David Dunham has mentioned use of Humakt's "Decapitate Foe" at range...

There are plenty of "direct" magical abilities. Erassa's magic is full of it, for example.

RR
- Richelieu