Re: Re: Magic items (was Transforming abilities)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 11:09:27 -0700

> In fact, if one wanted to be rigorous about it, one could say that the
> world's Resist Magic 14 is always available for any resistance just like
any
> other ability. So, you can either use whatever ability is at hand, or the
14
> as your base, and then augment with the other. That is, using this idea,
> everyone would have a +1 to resist magic with the mundane abilities,
because
> of the "unreality" of magic. Which is conceptually interesting.

Nope - can't Auto Augment with a default (page 79 - specifically mentions the 6 default, but applies to 14 as well). Magic in Glorantha is in no way "unreal". You might even say that it is "hyper-real".

> Moreover, then the suggestion made by someone way back (can't remember
who -
> LC, the list has covered this subject extensively previously) to allow
> mundane abilities to augment the natural resistance of the world becomes
an
> explicit option. That is, if you don't think that the height of something
is
> "actively" resisting some magic, you can use the 14 base, and use the
> passive mundane abilities as augments to that (much like a charm does in
> reverse).

Err, not sure what you mean here - like using a tree's "mundane" Tall 10W3 to augment the "natural 14", so that jumping over a tree is really 1W resistance? If so, then you might use that for general "Leaping" magic, but not for specific "Leap over Tree" magic, which should get the 14 no matter how tall the tree is.

RR
- Richelieu