RE: Questions about Lunar concentration

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:35:28 -0700

Peter M:
> asolovay:
>
> >1. The rules say (I don't have them handy, but I'm fairly sure that
> >this is
> >accurate) that a player who concentrates in Lunar magic picks one
> >otherworld, and "is allowed to keep" magic from different
> otherworlds--e.g.
> >if he concentrates in "lunar sorcery", he can keep his
> existing feats,
> >charms, etc.
>
> No. A Lunar can concentrate on one otherworld or he can
> concentrate on Lunar Magic.

This may be a semantic confusion. I shouldn't have said the hero picks "one otherworld"; rather, he picks one kind of "specialized magic". Well, lemme quote: [p. 113]

    ...The hero must give up all non-Lunar magic of any source;     he then has two choices. If he worships a Lunar deity,     spirit, saint, or founder he can concentrate his specialized     magic but still retain any common magic he     knows. Alternately[*], he can concentrate his Lunar common     magic (with the same effect as the "Selfrock teaching" on     page 108) but still retain any specialized magic he knows. In     either case, the specified magic (either a specialized     religion *or* common magic) gains the benefit of     concentration but the "retained" magic does not.

[*] I hope they mean "alternatively". But, then, the Moon is cyclical...

So I guess the question is, what does this text mean when it says "specialized magic"?

Take this example. Gronk is a spiritist in Five Spirit Moons, and an initiate in Natha, and has some Lunar common charms, spells, and feats that he got from Seven Mothers.

He decides to concentrate his Lunar "specialized magic". What does that mean? Is he concentrating *all* his "specialized magic" (both the Natha theism, and the FSM animism)? Does he pick just one? If he picks the Natha theism, what is the effect on his FSM magic? (Can he improve it? Get new spirits? Join new Lunar spirit practices?) Can he initiate in a new (Lunar) theistic cult, and pay the halved specialized costs?

If the answers to these questions will be given in ILH2, I can wait 'till then. But I think they're very muddy right now.

> IMO if the Talent can be described as Lunar Magic then it's
> acceptable. if it isn't (i.e. obviously storm related) then he
> has to give it up.

But... but... the Red Moon is Queen of the Middle Air!

Seriously--the moon proclaims herself "the pinnacle of the Mortal World". So what inner-world power *couldn't* be somehow construed as Lunar?