Re: Re: Questions about Lunar concentration

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:32:54 +1200

Tim Ellis:

>the section
>labelled "Leaving a Wizardry School" on P166
>"An Adept who leaves a school [...] is cut off from it's library, and
>loses access to its Grimoires, SPELLS and PORTALS. [...]

The intervening sentence is important "He must give up any Use [Grimoire] gained from the school".

>Although he
>can continue to use and imnprove the achool's spells that he already
>knows, HE CANNOT CREATE TALISMANS FOR NEW ONES, for the school will
>Ban Him." (Emphasis mine)

The next sentence explains what Ban means: "This strips him of his rank in the school and acts as a curse to make his access to the school's nodes more difficult". The Abiding Book teaches a spell called the Ban Adept ritual which is being referred to here.

>So to reuse the Cookery metaphor, When I join the "Jamie Oliver
>School", I make my own copy of the schools Grimoire "Pukka Grub"
>which I can use to cast any of the spells contained therein. I can
>also create talismans for spells I wish to learn specifically, which
>I can then raise separately.

Correct.

> Say I have "Use 'Pukka Grub' Grimoire
>19" , "Seafood Omlette 3W" and "Stuffed Olives 5W", and then leave
>the school. It is clear that I can continue to use and improve the
>individual spells, and that I can't create a talisman for one of the
>other spells contained in the Grimoire ("Carrot & Corriander Soup"),

Correct because you have given up your Use "Pukka Grub" Grimoire.

>but If I own a copy of the Grimoire can I cast the spell from the
>Grimoire?,

No as you've been Banned. You could try and make a new spell from the Grimoire that you have although this is not described in the rules.

>or use the Grimoire to augment the spells I do know?

Again no.

> and
>if not, how is this different from me learning spells from a
>Grimoire I acquire in the normal course of an adventure?

You haven't been Banned from using that grimoire. And to answer the question of why a school doesn't attempt to Ban all non-members from using their grimoire - a possible solution might be that the School can only Ban adepts that have belonged to their order. If they don't know who you are, they can't Ban you no matter how much they want to.

>Of course this raises a lot of questions. If a spell is common to
>several schools, do they each have a separate "Spell Node", or is it
>a single node shared by numerous groups and individuals?

The real question is whether they share the same grimoire and whether the grimoire has the same rune. As a rule, a grimoire links to one node and no other. Many grimoires may link to the same node.

A practical example involves the Iron Blood School (HQ p170) and the Bardan's Book order (HQ p172. The Iron Blood School has a grimoire: the Book of Conflict which teaches the spell: Give Soldier Courage while the Bardan's Book Order has a grimoire: the Army Book which also teaches the same spell.

Both the Army Book and the Book of Conflict have a death rune attached to them. Hence they access the same node. The spell each school teaches is the same. If the grimoires don't have the same rune then the spells are different.

>If the
>latter and you leave one school for another with access to the same
>node are you excluded by virtue of your having left your previous
>school, or accepted as a member of your new school?

The Ban ritual is in place. It can't affect the new grimoire that you know although some complications may if you try and use a spell common to the grimoire that you left behind and the grimoire that you know now. What these complications are really the stuff of adventures.

--Peter Metcalfe