Re: Tarsh's old religion

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:38:03 -0700

Light Castle <light_castle_at_...> wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that Tarsh was Orlanthi before it
> became Lunar? And that the reason it has gone so hard core
> Lunar (unlike say Dara Happa where the Solar Pantheon hasn't
> been driven underground) is that you can't integrate the Lunar
> religion into the Orlanthi one, due to the whole Middle Air
> rivalry thing?

As I understand it, Tarsh was Orlanthi/Ernaldi, but not Heortling--it came from a different, but related, tradition.

And (again AIUI) the Ernaldan side of the religion has persisted, more or less intact (though Ernalda has been identified with She Who Waits, and Maran Gor has been exiled). So have the cults of some other male deities, who are seen as husbands of Ernalda (like Odayla, I believe). But Orlanth has been stomped out.

I don't think that's *precisely* because of his Middle Air rivalry with the Moon. The Moon has reached an accommodation with Yelm, even though they're both sky gods. *If* Orlanth were of the right frame of mind, I think he could do the same--he and Sedenya could marry and be the King and Queen of the Middle Air or somesuch.

It's just that Orlanth is too ornery to do that. He doesn't like empires, and he doesn't want to be an emperor--still less the tame consort of an empress. The Lunars would be happy to incorporate him if he allowed it--but he won't.

[BTW, shouldn't this be on HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com ? Or is this leading to a rules-related question?]