concentrating inate magic (vs. selfrock)

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 00:50:02 -0000

I didn't have the rules handy previously in this discussion, so I held off saying this until I could back it up. Per the HQ rules, you can simply concentrate on inate magic (=talents).

per page 104, section "Inate Magic" "....The fact is that within some people magic forms spontaneously. This magic takes the form of talents."
(inate magic = talents)

per page 108, "Concentrating Magic Use" Second paragraph "Your hero can concentrate his magic, committing himself to a single magic system and giving up all magical abilities from the others. ..... A magician can concentrate any of the four types of magic: innate magic, theism, animism, or wizardry."

Fifth paragraph: "Innate Magic: Your hero must give up all magic derived from the Otherworld affiniteis, feats, charms, fetishes, spirits, scriptures, spells, and grimoires, erasing them from his charcter sheet. He retains only his talents."

(you can concentrate inate magic)

per page 108, "Selfrock Teaching" third paragraph: "If you are victorious, your hero can concentrate all of his common magic, not just his innate magic"
(selfrock is an _exception_ to the concentration rules, letting you
concentrate on more than one type of magic, but in this case only so long as it all comes from the mortal world.)

For what it is worth, on a previous thread about magic amongst the Teshnans, I'm sure I recall someone official (it might have been Greg) stating that they could concentrate on the magic of their god
(so that if they had one affinity and five feats, they could
concentrate their magic and keep them all), and that in some way this was an effect of mysticism. By extension, selfrock is probably a simple mystical practice ("You are not a rock" sounds like a basic denial of the physical world)

--Bryan