Re: More on Wizardry

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 18:48:04 +1200

LC wrote:

>As I understand it, to gain the "Use Grimoire" skill, you need to break
>through to the
>Grimoire's node. This is a 10W6 barrier and therefore completely
>impossible to most
>people.

No. To attune a grimoire, one has to break a 10W6 barrier. To attune a talisman,
one has to break a 10W3 barrier. To gain the Use Grimoire ability, no attuning is required.

>To buy a spell uniquely, you have to break the 10W3 barrier around a spell
>node. That
>attunes your talisman.

No. Learning a spell is distinct from attuning a talisman. However the process of
making a talisman is normally subsumed within the learning a spell.

>If a wizard managed to get his hands on the grimoire of another school, he
>could attune
>himself to it if he could break that 10W6 resistance.

No. The grimoire is already attuned. All he needs to do is to learn how to use it.

>He could also learn spells from that Grimoire individually by breaking
>10W3 barriers.
>(Easier than attuning a grimoire.)

The cost for learning a spell is 1 hero point, the cost for learning a grimoire is
3 hero points. No attuning is required.

>An adept who leaves is Banned. This Ban spell severs the attunement that
>they already
>had with a grimoire, and specifically makes access to any of the school's
>nodes more
>difficult.

The ban does not make access to the school's nodes mode difficult because the school does not own the nodes. What the Ban ritual does is to prevent the Bané from using the school's _maps_ to access the nodes.

>Thus if ever the talismans he already has are broken or lost, he loses those
>spells as well.

Not so. He knows the spell and can use the portal of power to make new talismans.

>If he still has a physical copy of the Grimoire, he can re-attune it by
>breaking a 10W6 or create new talismans with 10W3,

The grimoire is already attuned. He can't use it because he has been banned from
doing so.

>So why can't you curse an Illuminated person?

Because they are immune to agents of reprisal and spirits of retribution.

--Peter Metcalfe