Re: Re: Active Feats for initiates

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:06:48 -0700

> So, to clarify - when an initiate improvises a feat from an affinity
> rated at 17, for example - say Run up cliffs, he gets to use the
> feat as an active magical ability but takes an improv mod of -10 (-5
> if concentrated magic).

Right.

> Thats my interperatation. Sounds fine to me. Using a run up cliffs
> at 7 vs 14 is fairly weak wouldn't you say?

Better than "Run up Cliffs 0", which is what most people have. And if you want to run up cliffs as an every-day thing, become a devotee. Initiates don't (and players shouldn't) expect to get the really good magic.

> In my game, I have a player who would like to aquire a couple of
> feats from a particular sub-cult of the same cult. I have no
> problem with this, but have stated to the player that he must
> roleplay this out. He has to find someone, and he has to negotiate
> with that person to learn the feat. My take is that if someone is
> going to give you something, then they may want something inreturn,
> and we all know that in Heroquest we aint talking clacks, lunars and
> wheels!!!

Actually, monetary compensation might be acceptable, YGWV. So might animals, or a work, or sexual favors, or...

RR
- Richelieu