Animists and available spirits

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:57:18 -0000

As I understand the animist character they gain spirits in charms, which are augments (although common magic charms can become active on concentration). Fetishes are used as augments or released and used in a coupla nifty ways. But ALL bound spirits are restricted to their rating at the time of binding (except common magic charms).

So what happens is - at game start the GM/player takes five spirits and makes some of them fetishes, and they have something like 17-25 rating. He gains a relationship with them at 17, probably buys this up to 21 (1w). He plodders along with these for a time and things are great, all the other players are in awe of his ability to release a spirit and gain +20 combat boost (or whatever)

As the game progresses however that +20 reduces in comparative effectiveness as everyone upgrades, because that spirit cant be upgraded. so a normal animist will be looking for upgrades...

How common are they? What levels are common? As my game is run around Pavis/Prax, I would be interested in some sort of base line to work from as to the prevalence and power of spirits. Are 30 rating spirits uncommon or rare? What about 40? Are they just sitting around waiting to be used or do they require lengthy quests to find (or do the shamans exploit everyone? bloody spirit cartels!! SOPEC - Spirit Of Prax Economic Council).

Looking at this I can see major balancing dramas. My players are mechanistic (its a burden), and long ago dismissed animists as long term weakies, as their spirits dont increase and too many hero points are spent gaining them and getting a good relationship etc etc. Personally i didnt agree (and as I am GM you can be sure they are gonna be wrong and I will be right, muhahaha) and convinced two of the players to have secondary animist characters (we always play with two characters each, but only one active at a time). One of them wants to try it out now and is asking about bigger spirits. Not having thought about it too much lately I am hestitant about what levels I will give him as I am not familiar with the consequences... experienced opinions are welcomed )).

And feel free to insult my mechanistic players, they are min-maxers as well so they deserve scorn and abuse. :-)