Re: Animists and available spirits

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:06:39 -0000

"flynnkd2" <flynnkd_at_p...> wrote:
> As I understand ....
> Looking at this I can see major balancing dramas. My players are
> mechanistic (its a burden), and long ago dismissed animists as
long
> term weakies, as their spirits dont increase and too many hero
> points are spent gaining them and getting a good relationship etc
> etc.

This is a good point I could use clarification with. I recently had a guy start in my game and went for an Animist concept. I wasn't very well read on the subject, but decided to say that he could get a spirit at x value (whatever seemed the right sort of value when looking at what the traditions were offering). Then I kind of decided that he would be able to improve the spirits/ charms by spending Hero points on them like any other skill. I didn't want to go down the road of 'trade ins' - too much of a pain in the butt. I have no idea if this is what the game designers intend. I suspect the answer would answer you question too.

> And feel free to insult my mechanistic players, they are min-
maxers
> as well so they deserve scorn and abuse. :-)

No, I think thats great. It shows an active interest in the mechanics of the game. Their encouragement to create well rounded characters is the variety in the challenges that they face.

One mistake I made that maybe educational to the masses is one of my players (a rathori hsunchen) used his *Terrifying Roar* 1W with loads of augs made it about 10W. I made the resistance the bad guys weapon skill, which was similar. Doh! Of course I should have used their brave or whatever. Oh well, you learn every game....

Regards
Rob