Re: Questions about Lunar concentration

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:41:27 -0000

I don't have my rules with me, but if I recall correctly the HQ book in fact specifies that you *may* take a common magic key word from your homeland as an extension of that homeland key word, or words to that effect.

I rather like that particular way of setting it. I view common magic as something like "folk magic," the stuff that most people know a bit of and use as a matter of course, as part of their culture. A few people specialize in it (your classic "hedge witch" or "village wise woman" type thing), but most heroes use grander stuff. Of course, because most heroes use grander stuff, a hero using folk magic is automatically different and interesting, although probably not as outright powerful. (Note that someone specialized in common magic who manages to get advanced experience in their common magic key word has the potential to cheaply and easily be competent at a vast array of magic....say you have common magic 1W, it takes only a handful of HP to be able to stop bleeding, shape bronze, seduce, cook tasty food, and scare enemies, all at a competent level. They just can't raise a large number of magical abilties to impressive levels easily, their advantage is breadth, not focus)

--Bryan