Re: Re: Animist Power & magical defense

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:02:16 -0700

> One question, when resisting magic, can you use a bound spirit? For
> example, you are attacked with the Fiery Spear of Great Crispiness
> spell at 10W. Your spirit face won't help resist it, and your other
> magical relationships look doubtful. You have a Wind 5W spirit, and
> that seems like a fair defence--blow the fire away from you. Can you
> use it if the spirit is bound in a charm?

>From the FAQ:

++++++++
Question: How can Jane use her Gesture to Ward Off Magic to resist magic (page 99)? This is a common magic ability, which can only be used as an augmentation if Jane has not concentrated her magic on talents.

Answer: Although common magic abilities cannot be used as to "cause an active effect" (page 104), they can be used as resistance in a contest, if the ability is appropriate. Using an ability for resistance does not count as using that ability actively in a contest. ++++++++

So yes, you can use your charm for that. (Of course, there are then quibbles about whether that's an appropriate defense, and if not, what sort of penalty to assign...)

> How about a fetish?
> Obviously you could use it if you release it from the fetish, but
> that takes an action, and you could be cooked medium-well by then if
> you have to fall back on your inate resistance of 14.

Well, defending *is* an action, so I'd let you release a spirit from a fetish *as* your defense. Of course, "Most fetishes act as charms" (HQ 137), so you might not need to release the spirit if the narrator is feeling benevolent :-).

RR
- Richelieu