Re: Re: Animist Power (Was: Animists and available spirits)

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:03:47 +0200

Quoting flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>:

> But this is all away from my reason for posting, which was to get an
> idea of how common higher level spirits are, those above the values
> listed in the books, which I assume are the common ones. How rare is
> a 10w2 spirit?

FWIW, I always ask for a [Tradition] Knowledge against the desired spirit's Might just to see if the shaman has any idea of how and where finding one in his Tradition. I don't know if that's in the rules. So, taking some time, with good augments, the animist in my game can hope for 1w2, maybe 10w2 at best, which is perfect for me. If he fails, well, he has no idea and can just go spirit-hunting and hope to find something interesting.

And then, in an animist area, I use about the same scale for spirits than for persons : it's easy to find anything below 5w. Finding some spirit up to 20w may be possible, but take a day or two (the same that for finding a good weaponthane in a Orlanthi clan). 10w2 is the max power I'd authorize at clan-level (a few days' search in every directions, and depleting the resources for many seasons), except for very spirit-rich places like Beasts Valleys, Grazelands or Dagori Inkarth in Dragon Pass.
IMG a 10w3 spirit would be the local Spirit King : capturing it in a Fetish is bound to offend lots of people, shamans, etc.

  Philippe