Re: Look away - its an old woman!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:32:54 -0700

> Question:
> If you drop out of a contest before the end is there any effect?

Usually you lose. :-)

Actually, that's not really true - if you were winning you probably won, if you were losing you probably lose. Of course, it all depends on the contest.

> Example:
> Humakti, at the front of party of heros, attempts to out stare withered
> matriarch.
> Withered matriarch has a few medium wins, Humakti recognizes he is close
> losing.
> Humakti drops out of contest and 'just wanders off' leaving rest of party
> behind.

He lost.

> I ruled he had had a minor defeat, on the grounds that he had lost face
even
> if he
> had not stayed for the final defeat, and assigned him a minor penalty.
> Was I right or am I a sadistic GM?

Sounds good to me. Everyone could probably tell that the matriarch was winning.

> Question:
> Do followers lend AP just by backing someone up?

Usually, yes.

> Example:
> Parties matriarch faces off against said withered matriarch, braces
> facial muscles for a good stare.
> Withered matriarch whistles. Large number of family spill out of stead
> and form a block behind her. Silence descends. Massed staring ensues.
> Family includes 12 adults. Matriarch now on 2W (her skill) plus 36
> bonus from 12 supporters = 58 skill points. Parties Matriarch worried.
>
> Was I right to provide this level of benefit?

Sounds reasoanble to me. Especially if "Staring Wars" are a common part of the culture (I sem to remember that some primitive tribes in New Guinea or somehwere have something similar, but don't ask me for more than that!)

Did the rest of the party back up their own matriarch by lending her their APs? (ie, both sides line up & glare at each other).

>Is there no law of
> diminishing returns from supporters?

Not in the base rules - and probably not in future ones, but if you *really* have to have them, try looking at the Community Participation table (HW 244) - smaller groups provide a bigger bonus per capita than larger groups.

> Question:
> Should a massive defeat in a non combat skill be Very Serious?

Of course.

> Example:
> After a few exchanges and losses by both sides parties matriarch
> manages to transfer AP to her withered opponent, who then bids her
> full 58 points and wins sending parties matriarch to -56 or
> thereabouts.
>
> The player decided the defeated PC, whose authority over her clan
> hung entirely on their unquestioning awe of her steel will, was
> broken by the exchange and fled, becoming a sad old shadow living
> on the edge of society. Thats the players right, but....

Perfectly reasonable - she has lost any authority she ever had. Now, you might allow her to try to rebuild her shattered reputation in small bits & pieces, or you can declare her "dead" and turn her into a narrator character "she once was the queen of the tribe, but she lost her nerve and now she lives on the edge of town making love potions of dubious quality..."

> As a ref I was going to apply something that was a 'Dead' severity
> but to social standing. What would other folks have done...
> loss of the ability used (intimidate)?
> loss of all abilities that related to authority?
> gain a flaw?
> remove the character from play?

Any of the above. All of the above. Penalties on using her social abilities on the town. Turn her into an evil narrator character. Make her into the town laughingstoke as she maintains the "dignity of her position".

> Corollary:
> Never get into a staring contest with withered matriarchs.
>

> We were horrified at the extreme result but,
> 1 - the player could have used a hero point to alter the fatal
> roll but we all forgot.
> 2 - I did not have to go for the kill. Sometimes it makes
> sense, other times it doesn't, but most npcs should not bid
> extreme amounts even for non-combat conflicts. That is if you
> want any PCs left.

Was it Dramatic? Did the players have a good time or did they think you'd railroaded them? Was the horror they felt for the character and what will happen to her, or for the way the dice went? If the *players* were satisfied with the way it went down, then you're in the clear. If they were pissed that "a dumb die roll" screwed up the game, then you need to work on it. remember that "death is up to the narrator" - if the *player* is happy to have the character be an outcast ("socially dead"), fine. If the player wants to continue playiong, then assign huge penalties to social abilities when dealing with the town/matriarch/whoever, and give her a chance to rebuild her shattered empire.

RR