Re: Simple living through sharper cutlery

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 13:23:22 -0000

I like this too, and I even have a Gloranthan explanation for it, I think (I could be reading too much into a couple of lines of text...).

The secret of the crafter cults of Orlanth and Ernalda is to awaken the daimone of their craft. Note that it is NOT to find a daimone, but to awaken it. This implies, naturally for Glorantha, that everything is potentially magic.

Now looking at the whole "most of the world is mixed" idea. An axe normally made doesn't have strong daimone, spirit, or essence ties. But a couple of possibilities seem reasonable.

  1. Presumaby when a crafter awakens the craft's inner daimone, part of that is driving out the mixed nature, letting the theistic nature predominate and awaken. Perhaps other objects, when regularly used by one type of worshipper, especially if they use magic that affects the object, could have a similar thing happen. So that cooking pot that has held Ernalda's magic so often, or that axe that has held Daylanus's magic so often, or whatever, might take on a more theistic nature, and its daimone may come to the fore.
  2. There is magic in the inner world, as seen in talents. As described in the HQ books, talents derive from inate understanding of runes. Well, maybe when a tool has been used often enough in one capacity, it begins to attune to a relevant rune, and embody some inner world magic of its own.

However, I think most often, there is more to it than that. Maybe you begin to feel that the tool is special, so you begin to add relevant charms to it, inscribe it with the runes that you think relate to it, etc. Even without a proper enchant skill, this is probably part of bringing out the magic of either the above ways.

--Bryan