Re: Re: Animist Power

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:49:41 -0500

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>

>Ask the player "What sort of power level are you going for?" It would be
>just as crazy to ask for a rating of 10W3 if the player's Worship [Spirit]
>ability isn't up to the challenge!

>And sometimes they'll be ambushed by a large, hungry spirit (usually when
>they have a bad roll to Open Spirit World...).

Yeah, in general, this is the disincentive for the player to just go for the biggest spirit available. The bigger the spirit you're looking for, the worse things are going to be if something goes wrong. If you aren't a really good friend of Oakfed, and you try to bind one of his big Bonfire Spirits at 10W3, be prepared to potentially get burned, burned, burned. Remember that Open Spirit World allows the spirits to attack you in theory. If they do, perhaps you can escape the circle, but you might not escape unscathed.

Oh, and note that here's the power principle rearing it's head again. The difficulty of gaining the ability is equal to the ability gained.

The whole binding process is really fun to play out. I probably wouldn't do it every time, but it's momentus enough that I consider playing it out each time it happens. Last time my Practitioner went looking for a particular spirit, the narrator, Josh, made me get a shaman and actually travel about some in the spirit world to find the spirit I needed. That wasn't pleasant for the character. Sort of a mini HeroQuest - I suppose Vision Quest wouldn't be an inappropriate term to describe it (though Greg would know for sure). Very fun.

Mike

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/