Argrath-level keywords

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 00:13:18 +0100

[I'm moving this thread to the rules list] To recap:
Hank Langeveld reminded us that OiD claims "You Can Be Argrath" (page 11)

I replied:
> And on page 39 we learn that one of the Argraths, Kallyr, has the
> Initiate of Rigsdal keyword at 4W2 (44), which would take 27 years of
> Advanced Experience, but she is not in her early forties. So, no, you
> can't actually BECOME any of the Argraths using the rules, because you
> can not use the rules to develop from a normal starting character into
> an Argrath-like character; your character will always be a second-rater
> compared to NPCs like Kallyr.

bethexton_at_... replied
> Ummmmmm, that doesn't sound quite right to me. I mean, if you raise
> your affinities to 4W2, and your mythology, and your piety, does it
> matter if the keyword per se is at 17?

That is a big if. Play many scenarios where your character uses his Piety? The magic keywords have relatively few abilities in them, but the occupational ones have many. Just last week our Close Combat 10W2 Humakti was doing badly because he had to use his Acute Hearing 17. Even if the narrator and players try to use a broad range of abilities, some abilities will be left behind. Such abilities are always a weakness.

> at least in theory,
> heroquests are supposed to come in [here]

Riggght. So Orstalor the Spearlord heroquested to get Heortling Warrior 15W2 before his 70th birthday? And Elmalandti hero quested to increase his Heortling God-talker to 16W2, and again to increase his Heortling Priest to 5W? And all clan priests (Barbarian Adventures page 15) are either mighty heroquesters or in their sixties?