Re: Simple living through sharper cutlery

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:09:43 -0700

flynnkd2

>I posted a while back about passive magic on weapons and this was
>resolved as not the most appropriate use of the magic, instead use
>active magic that is more versatile, and just "say the weapon is +3".
>
>It occurred to me that I hadnt even realised the possibility of
>having simply +3 weapons...

I know I argued for defining magic items so that they could be used actively, so this thought never occurred to me either. It's a waste of the system to have a "+3 sword" when you can have the "Cat Whisker Sword (10W)" -- even if you named that sword by what was sitting on your lap and don't know what it does until the right moment of play. Perhaps this augments Yinkin magic? Maybe it lets you walk in the dark?

>Do people use this alot? Is the +3 (or whatever) based on quality or
>magic or both? What limits do you stick to? Is this passive bonus
>improvable? Is it +3 or actually 10w converted to an augment?

I don't think we've ever had a limit on magic, and I'm still not convinced of the need. The way we've always played is that you have a magic item with a rating. This is in basic game terms the same as having an ability with a rating. It can be used actively, or as an augment. Frequently, the ability can be used in a variety of ways (e.g. with the magical boat Snapper, I have rolled to see how many people could fit in it, how fast it travelled, and to summon it).

>To make it magical seems to defeat the original suggestion of not
>using passive type magics.?

I think to make it at all defeats the original suggestion.

--

David Dunham