Small unit augmenting...

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:28:26 -0000

Assuming players become heroes, and one on one able to beat any other normal person, then one way to counter them is to form small units. Especially if they are soldiers and trained to fight that way.

So a hero might be at 5w4, and a single spearman might be at 10w2. If 6 spearmen gang together and augment one person he become 10w2+
(5x+5) = 15w3... and now have a chance.

I have assumed that this occurs by simply augmenting one spearmen with the other spearmans combat ability.

My question however is in regard to magic. Say they are fighting a hero who is particularly nasty and known for his great melee skill. So rather than fight him they decide to use magic... but he is a hero so he has better than normal magic, but not amazing magic.

Important part!! Can you augment their magic in the same way... so say they each had 10w1 magic, they augment one and become 10w +
(5x+3) = 5w2 magic. (images come to me of the magical wedges used
in Thomas Covenant books, channeling power to the lead caster).

The effectiveness of this could be decided by making a roll vs their Fyrd/Shieldwall/Cohort (whatever small unit training) they have.

My reasons for this is that I find myself falling into the escalation trap as my players advance. I simply bump up everything to match them, unrealistically. However the augmenting system allows me to work with bricks (a standard soldier) and build a better machine... Thus when I say a band of rough looking militia approach them they will go - "yeah, sure, ho hum", but when I say a unit of Silver Spears are present they will be worried. This lends character and depth to the names/units of the game.

It also allows me to throw really tough single mobs at my players and either they form up quickly or take a dirt nap.