Re: Ap bidding and realism a la Troy

From: Stephen Rennell <steve_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:59:42 +1200

I finally got around to seeing Troy tonight, and during the scenes where the army is chanting Achilles name before the champions battle, my wife sitting next to me in the theatre was chanting "augment, augment, augment".

I actually rather liked it, but I suspect I had pretty low expectations going in. (cousin, absolutely, cousin). Achilles and his Myrmidons just struck me as so humakti hero band - "What is Achilles doing, does he think he'll take the beach with only 50 men..." - Single Heroes could change the course of a battle. The entire battle stops to watch Hector and Achilles fight it out, and when Hector wins and discovers it's not Achilles, everyone goes home for the day.

I really liked the sun-worshipping Trojans using rolling balls of fire to attack the Greeks - very mythic.

Cheers,

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell		steve_at_...