Re: Round pegs/square holes

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:29:50 -0500

>From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>

> > scenarios that let the players choose resolutions that play to their
> > skill-sets tend to go down better.
>
>Given that there can only be one finale, with a set of characters with
>mixed abilities, isn't it always going to be the case that some of the
>characters are going to find themselves in a somewhat inappropriate
>contest?

With traditional GMing techniques this is a problem to an extent. There are alternatives, however - you don't have to have party play, or "finales" at all. Been over to The Forge (www.indie-rpgs.com) by any chance, Benedict? In the HQ forum there you can find a lot of info on a method of play that overcomes this sort of problem. Ian's aware of these techniques, so I'm guessing that he's working with some assumptions that you may not be working with.

Put it this way, I understand what Ian is saying, and he's completely correct for the syle of play in question. In the play that I've seen, HP are distibuted all over, and nobody thinks twice about "stacking."

Mike