Using talk to ancestors, listen to ancestors

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:45:22 -0000

Ever since HQ came out, I thought the common magic abilities (found in a few homelands) of "talk to ancestors" and "Listen to ancestors" looked interesting and flavorful. However, aside from having the hero hear--and reply to--voices that nobody else hears as a schtick, I've not thought of clear ways to use the abilities.

One possibility would be to make them very situational--say when you in the storm realm you can use them to communicate with the otherwise anonymous crowds.

Another would be to use them as augments in certain magical situations (like dealing with your wyter, performing divinations, and maybe even many rituals (think of it as community support from beyond the grave!)).

But those seem kind of boring. Broader uses might be possible, but it depends, are ancestors always around, whispering for those who have ears to hear? Or is contacting them difficult? If they are there for those with ears to hear, I could see using "listen to ancestors" as an augment in a variety of sitations "My ancestors hated and repeatedly fought the trolls. Before night falls and the trolls attack again I spend some time praying to my ancestors and listening for their advice" (using listen to ancestors to augment a combat ability). Possibly coupled with "Some of my ancestors had magic to fight trolls, so I talk to them and ask them to help defeat the troll magic for me" (talk to ancestors as an augment to magical defenses).

Any thoughts?

-Bryan