Broad abilities - further thoughts

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:28:21 -0000

Hi all

I have had some further thoughts with regard to ability improvisation.

When characters reach high or very high levels, it may prove possible to
gain more advantage from improvisation than perhaps the game designers
intended, as discussed.

The alternative improve method I suggest, is to make the modifier a Percentage, rather than a flat figure, such as 5, 10 or whatever.

Thus;

Fighting without a shield – 20% (was –5)

Fighting with a hand held weapon
unfamiliar to the hero –40% (was –10)

Fighting with a weapon not usually used
As a hand held weapon –60% (was –20)

Human fighting in total darkness -80% (was –30)

So;
Not exactly right for the task –20%
Not right for the task –40%
Inappropriate for the task –60%
erm, I'd try another skill if I were you! –80% Not allowed! – The narrators discretion.

The above means that if Hengal was fighting using a bench at 15w, then he would
take a -14, leaving him at 1w. If the Dara Harpan Warrior he was fighting had to use a bench as well improvising his spear skill of 10w2, then his skill would take a –20, leading to a skill of 10w. Hengal is still in trouble, but proportionately the Dara Harpan is just as worse off.

Under the rules as they stand, Hengal would be on 5w, and the DH dude on 20w.

The only problem with this rule as I see it would be the math on the night. The flat rates do lend the game a certain fluidity.

Thoughts/refinements/Rob what a load of tosh?

Regards
Rob