Re: AP pool ?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 23:21:00 -0400

At 12:20 PM 05/22/2000 +0000, Tim Ellis wrote:
>I have a question which is related to AP Pools (I think) - That is,
>where do the AP's come from that are used when one character loans AP
>to another? It makes sense if both characters are involved in an
>extended contest, and so have currently "active" AP totals
[snip]
>What does cause a problem is if the aid comes from someone not
>currently part of the contest. The Orlanthi weaponthane watching the
>debate decides to use his "Hearty Voice" skill to loudly cheer and
>yell "Hear Hear!" in order to loan points. If he has to transfer
>AP's, where do they come from? What stops him from doing this every
>round?

I have a non-canon idea for this particular situation:

The person shouting "Hear, Hear!" with his Hearty Voice could add his APs to those of the person he is supporting as though he is a follower of that person. Of course, Hearty Voice is not terribly appropriate for an academic-style debate, so penalize it mightily (-10 at least). As a follower, the shouter presumably gets the gratitude of the person he is aiding if he wins, but if the person he is aiding loses, then he looks like a total fool (suffers one greater level of penalty) for wading into a debate with inappropriate shouting.

Here is a question to go along with this:

If the shouter uses his Hearty Voice to augment the debater's skill, is it possible (in canon) to add the same number of AP as the augment amount? If you only allow someone to try this once, this gets around the question of the shouter trying to transfer AP every round. I don't think that this is covered in the existing rules, so please try to limit the number of "this isn't covered in the rules" replies. I'm more looking for "this is plausible" or "this violates the spirit of the rules" types of responses.

Thanks,
Andy