Re: AP pool ?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:40:12 -0400

At 09:56 PM 05/23/2000 -0700, Roderick Robertson wrote: [Andy Dawson wrote:]
>> If the shouter uses his Hearty Voice to augment the debater's skill, is it
>> possible (in canon) to add the same number of AP as the augment amount? If
>> you only allow someone to try this once, this gets around the question of
>> the shouter trying to transfer AP every round. I don't think that this is
>> covered in the existing rules, so please try to limit the number of "this
>> isn't covered in the rules" replies. I'm more looking for "this is
>> plausible" or "this violates the spirit of the rules" types of responses.
>
>So you're asking "Can I use the Augmentation table and act as a "fetish" -
>adding both a (single round) skill bonus *and* a number of AP equal to the
>augmentation? (I'm asking this because I had to read through the paragraph
>a couple times to make sure I got it).

I hadn't considered that this duplicates the actions of a fetish, but I guess it does. From that viewpoint, I agree with your snipped paragraph that this is inappropriate for a nonmagical ability. However, I have another viewpoint:

Any bonuses to the ability used initially in an extended contest affect both the target number and the starting APs. I am suggesting and querying about a late arrival to the contest jumping in an modifying the target number and AP of the original extended contest participant.

Since you have likened this to the effect of a fetish, I am guessing that the answer is "no" for a nonmagical ability.

Another question prompted by your reply: You note that a fetish adds a "(single round) skill bonus" above. Is this stated in the rules? Does this mean that a use of a Hates Darkness +2 fetish, for instance, only affects a single round of a contest? I have been using fetish effects that last for an entire contest, extended or otherwise.

Thanks,
Andy