RE: Attack vs Defence values

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:46:32 +0100

> Just out of interest, when people work out and use their skill levels
> in an extended contest, do they distinguish between attack augments
> and defence ones...
>
> eg... Spear and Shield skill + armour + magic etc = attack skill. Or
> do you leave armour out during attack and add it in during defence.
>
> But what about when you use a bow, do you add in armour to your bow
> attack value?

We tried distinguishing, and ran away screaming from the complexity.

To justify these things, remember that an important part of defence is the ability to attack. If I'm standing there with no armour, but holding a greatsword over my head ready to bring it down on top of you, and you know I know how to use it, you're not going to dare get in close enough to hit. Or at least, you'll think twice, and you'll be concentrating more on not dying than on hitting me.

Likewise an important part of attack is relying on defences. If I'm in full armour, I can just ignore half your tapping at me with your rapier & dagger, walk up and twat you with my Big Stick. If I had to use that Big Stick to parry blows from two weapons, I'd be in trouble.

If you're using a bow, it's a lot easier to just stand up and shoot, ignoring incoming attacks, than to dodge out from behind cover for a fraction of a second.

Then again, you might want to ask the players *how* they're using each ability. If the "attacker" is using his "run the other guy ragged" ability, tiring him rather than hitting him, the defender's heavy armour is a *negative* augment.