RE: Multi-way contests

From: stephenmcg_at_...
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:15:24 +0100

> That said, while I like the idea, I don't see how it's more useful than the
> other suggestions for how to do multiple sided extended contests. Your
> method seems to be useful across all extended contests, and not pertain to
> multi-person ones particularly. Or am I missing something?

I suppose it does. I just never thought of it for general use...

Personally, for the race idea I'm leaning towards the simple contest with carry-over. I like Bruce's idea of 'walking the course' to get an idea of what's out there - though that could be subsumed into an augment rather than preparing a range of courses. The general lead would be the person with the most carry-over at any one stage and at the final obstacle - if there were multiple contestants with the same carryover they could do a simple contest between them to resolve the photo finish.

I just got a picture of using HQ to model a game of golf - with the difficulty of the hole being broken down into - drive, second shot and putting. Each hole would have hazards that would determine the difficulty of the next shot depending on the success level of the shot before.

Hmmm. Might be an interesting novelty miniatures game for a con there...