RE: Multi-way contests

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:11:16 +0100

The idea behind doing it like this, when I used it for doing a race over an obstacle course, was that, if you don't do an extended contest, there's not a good way of measuring the fact that whoever did best over any given obstacle is gaining an advantage over their competitor(s).

The carryover bonus, as per the "Station Results" in the heroquesting rules, provided a nice way of tracking that advantage. Each competitor, based on whether they'd rolled well or badly to overcome each individual obstable, would accrue a running total of penalties and benefits that would, when applied to their attempt to complete the last obstacle which, being the last in the race, is the one that decides who wins.

Regards,

Bruce