RE: Attack vs Defence values

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 06:51:30 +0100

> I agree with that in theory, although it can get tricky. It
> requires deciding which tactic is
> effective. After all, aren't both playing to their strengths?

Yes, it all gets *very* tricky. My own conclusion is that it's just too complicated to worry about. If the player can explain why an ability should add an augment, they get it, without distinguishing attack from defence. And then, as you say, subsume the lot in narrative. It depends on how much detail you want to go into and how "simulationist" you want to be. Those of us who do fighting for "real" can do a lot of hair-splitting if let loose on this sort of thing, so it's probably only fair on everyone else to use us to generate narrative colour and leave the Roolz side vague and simple.