Re: Who plays golf?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:52:57 +0100

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 12:15:25AM +0100, Bruce Ferrie wrote:
> I suspect that the aldryami make the best fit for golf. Only they play
> it in their forests. They take a tree limb and bash the nasty, squishy
> head of the enemy (probably some icky creature made of... Ugh... Meat!)
> around until it goes down a rabbit hole or some such and is nicely out
> of the way.

Wasn't there an old White Dwarf (yes, that's _White Dwarf_ -- it used to be a proper magazine, you know, young whipper-snappers!) article on cricket as an aldryami game? There was a similar rationale as to the ball I think -- some Uz enemy, IIRC. Sounded like a pretty good fit to me. The vast periods without anything actually happening, the sheer length of the game, the obsession with fine weather, all sound pretty vronkai to me. The elves might be hard up for a good outfield, though.

I'm also reminded of past comments about 'full contact golf', but that's another thread entirely...

Cheers,
Alex.