RE: Attack vs Defence values

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:22:55 -0400

On 2 Jul 2004 at 19:35, Jane Williams wrote:

The game in college
> where the players included four archers and three physicists (there was
> overlap, too) acquired an archery rule system that was bigger than the rest
> of the game :)

Gaaah... That must have been terrifying. :)

> Of course, if no-one present knows anything about how things "really" work,
> then no problem. Everyone present has the same level of suspension of
> disbelief. But this is why I thinkg simulationist RPGs just don't work. Even
> if you manage to satisfy the person who knows the subject, you've just bored
> the person who knows nothing and cares nothing rigid. (I'm the sort who
> would prefer a system like that above for guns. There are two sorts: Big and
> Small. They go bang and kill people. End of knowledge and interest.)

Same here. Also used to have a player who specializes in handguns as props for movie sets. Needless to say, we had different needs.

> Yes. At least, it works for me. Me and my Humakti PC can abstract the rules
> down to "OK, CC plus standard augments less their multiple attacker
> modifier", and then (remembering I do PBeM not tabletop) I can spend an hour
> or so lovingly describing exactly how she takes those three spearmen apart,
> with a bit of help from Gray's Anatomy, and possibly taking a sword out to
> the garden and attacking some bean-poles to check that what I'm trying to do
> is accurate. And, of course, supplying the Narrator with alternative
> versions in case I fail to roll a 1. "Fumbles" can be a *lot* more fun than
> dropping your sword :)

I do believe you almost make me want to take up PBeM, which I always avoided. :)

Her habit was to always go for the kill shot, because that made sense to her. And because the she knew how to fight, anything I described she would spot the weakness in and immediately say she was doing "that" to counter, and then she would argue if it was blocked. The fact is here in a Simple Contest she could make it as short and sweet as she wanted, and in an extended, she could always have bid her little heart out for that kind of thing.