Advanced Experience

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 15:53:28 -0400

 I've got a question on making characters that start at higher stats than the opening.

My players are doing a smaller, tight campaign, and none wanted to play beginning characters for that, but rather make people who are already capable of making a rather severe impact (since this isn't a campaign as such).

 That's fine, I don't mind that, but I'm not sure how to deal with it in the char gen process. I intend to steal a bit of the Advanced Experience rules, obviously, but I don't think having them just make characters by the normal rules and then adding 15 across the board makes much sense. I think they might end up a bit too narrow then.

Should I perhaps give them each the option of a second occupation? Give them some extra points/slots?

I've toyed with the idea of having them make characters as normal, bumping up the ranks a bit, and then giving them each 10 points for a "create as you go" bonus where they can fill things in as they realize a more experienced character should have things.

It's their first time playing HeroQuest and they've had no problem making good character concepts, but the looseness of the rules is somewhat intimidating to them since they are far more used to lists and more closed options.

Any one else had to deal with this? Anyone have some clever solutions, or just interesting examples?

Thanks all,
LC