RE: How to use this charm?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:58:54 -0500

>From: "flynnkd2" <flynnkd_at_...>

>So what value is there for such a charm?

That *is* somewhat confounding. Here are some ideas off the top of my head.

First, why is Open Spirit World overkill? I mean, for a practitioner who has it, I think that could be exactly what he would use. I assume this is a tradition spirit, however, and not a practice spirit? If so, then there is the problem that spiritists of the tradition with the charm wouldn't have that ability. So I agree there that for most they're not going to have the right ability.

OTOH, let's assume that people can "Call Spirits" at a default of 6; the spiritist just calls out into the night for the spirit in question hoping to be heard. Meaning that the spirits are trying to listen, but have a hard time unless there's someone who knows how opening up the door to the spirit world. Let's say that such spirits are friendly for argument's sake, and want to ward these people - I'd think that the resistance would be a 14. A +2 can help here a little - cerrtainly better than nothing.

Now this means that most nights when a spiritist calls a warding spirit, nothing happens, and he's probably not even aware of it. Because he can't see it even if it does come. But with the charm he can rest better knowing that more nights than otherwise, there will be a spirit watching over his camp. Heck, I'd allow that to mean that he gets a +2 to healing up that night for the better rest, or things like that. Also, I agree with the other poster that it could probably just be used straight as an augment to watching the camp like it's a charm of Warding Camp (however I agree that the name implies more).

Also, if the spiritists spend a little time in a ritual, that can aid their chances - and the more spiritists involved the better. So, again I imagine the members of the camp sitting around the campfire just after dark singing a song (or chanting, or dancing, or whatever Praxians do) to attract such a spirit. The more dangerous the area, the longer the ritual goes into the night. Still won't end up making it certain that such a spirit will appear, but it can even out the odds.

Another question would be what a warding spirit *does*. It's being "Called" so it's not like it's being bound into it's own charm or fetish. What I'd think is that these spirits are out there floating around looking for Praxians to guard, and when called, they settle over the camp as a temporary guardian. Hence they probably lend some appropriate defensive abilities that go off if someone enters the a certain radius from a center like a campfire. Probably not high powered, I'd think that stuff like Warn of Enemies 15 and the like would be what it might have. Still very useful to have something like that looking out for you all night long.

Just some ideas. I love how speculating about these sorts of things can sorta fill out a cultures activities.

Mike

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page � FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/