RE: Re: Childbirth

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:29:03 -0500

>From: "jeffrichard68" <jeff.richard_at_...>

> > Makes sense for "strategic" level play. Hmmm. I'm thinking that
>the male's
> > Robust or similar can be used as an augment to the child's
>survival die
> > roll? Representing his genetic contribution? :-)
>
>Certainly. If I recollect (David or someone please correct me),
>there was roughly a 50% chance of having a kid in the basic
>Pendragon rules, maybe less. If the resistance is 14, then the base
>trait ought to be something around 6, with about 7 points worth of
>augments (frex, +2 for being an initiate of Ernalda, +2 for some
>magical affinity, +2 for a midwife, and +1 from the husband). Or
>something like that. Same thing with child survival.

Nooo. That would be the chance for escaping childbirth unscathed. If death should occur 50% of the time, then the rating should be something more like 10W2. Unless losing a child is a marginal failure. Yeah, this would mean that almost every child would be born with an injury at some level, but I think that's more or less accurate in a world where it's a 50/50 proposition just to survive being born. In any case, I think that the kid who escapes without the -1 Hurt is probably rare. That's a tight squeeze! :-)

Mike

Don�t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/