RE: Re: Childbirth

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:47:36 +0100

> > For what it is worth, the medieval mortality figures
I've
> seen suggest
> > that about 20-30% die within a year. 2/3 die before
adulthood.

This fits my vague memories. Societies where kids didn't get named until they were 5, that sort of thing.

> I remember reading something that suggested historically
that
> child and
> mother mortality went down significantly when people
started
> using iron
> cooking pots (anaemia makes blood loss more significant).
>
> I can't remember where I read it, but my wife remembers
> reading something
> similar as well, so perhaps I'm not imagining it...

I remember this, too, so maybe we shared a dream.

But, this is Glorantha, not Earth, so we don't really want to know about the chemistry of iron and anaemia. We need a myth. I'd have thought having the metal of Death around a pregnant woman would be a Very Bad Thing, myself. Maybe some story about eating spinach and liver? No myths spring to mind immediately, though.