Re: Re: Childbirth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:31:56 +0100

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 11:34:15AM -0700, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> "How does pregnancy affect the PC/PC's wife" and "Birth rate for the
> Tribe/Clan/Village/etc"
>
> The model I'm developing is for the first question - no way would I bother
> to roll that sort of thing over a clan or village! For a Village/clan model
> (like KoDP-style play) I'd probably just do some sort of comparison of
> Births to Deaths

I must say that the second seems the more interesting, as it provides part of the 'backdrop' one can use to drive the story, in clan-oriented games. But the former would be an odd thing to have 'standard' rules for, it seems to me, in that there's little in the way of necessity for a game mechanic to the determining factor in the development of a given PC's family. (Dare I say, esp. an Ueber-Simulationist one.)

The clan-size one could probably simply abstract as a Wealth test, with a handful of other modifiers (the nature of said wealth, magical resources, prevailing factors in a given year like the climate).

Cheers,
Alex.