Surviving Childbirth

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:23:14 -0500

>From: "nichughes2001" <nicolas.hughes_at_...>

> > Childbirth: Even in places with poor medical care (and without
> > magic ) , healthy women have a t least a 90-95% chance of
>surviving
> > childbrith.
>
>I should hope so - at the lower end of survival chances this would
>literally decimate the female population.
>
>Whatever ability ratings anyone chooses to use in a contest for
>pregnancy and childbirth I would suggest that the mother should only
>be in mortal peril on a complete defeat.

This makes a lot of sense. To get the appropriate percentage, if you assume that a woman can use something like "Tough" or may even have to default to a 6, then the resistance would have to be about 15W for making it through childbirth. Sounds pretty good to me. Again, means making it through unscathed is rare, but death is also farily rare.

Using that difficulty, here are the results of birth for a character with the default 6 ability (sorry for the fixed width charts): Result Percent of Results

Complete Defeat    7.00%
Major Defeat      47.75%
Minor Defeat      31.00%
Marginal Defeat    0.00%
Tie                0.00%
Marginal Victory  11.75%
Minor Victory      2.25%
Major Victory      0.25%
Complete Victory   0.00%

Getting just +6 in augments to 12 means a substantial improvement in outcome. A significant drop in the death rate, and more women back to work sooner.

Result Percent of Results

Complete Defeat    5.50%
Major Defeat      28.25%
Minor Defeat      46.00%