Re: The "use it once in a lifetime" skill

From: Manuel MOLINIER <astaroth.maillist_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:05:25 +0200

Another way to handle this is to give a skill at 13 and make the player roll for augment. Giving bonus depending on the external duress and other constraints. It's not a do it all skill and if the player doesn't know exactly how much is the bonus it increase the thrill of the situation. So in situation of peace and calm modifier of -10 to -20 and being gang raped with the woman you have to protect by uroxi being a +10 to +20 This way the woman risk all without knowing how much she will get ...

Manuel

  Me and my Little Brain are running into trouble again. I can see what   I want to do narratively, but how to represent it in the rules is   beyond me.

  I have a Vingan PC (yes, at last!), who is usually Nice. Eventempered,    charming, persuasive, kind to children and small fluffy   animals. Except that if you ever manage to get her angry, watch out!

  Now, how do I model that skill? She's not a berserker. She's lost her   temper perhaps twice in her entire life, and only under extreme   provocation. We're kind of building up back-story as a shared effort,   prior to start of "real" play, and it seems that she and a group of   women of her clan who she was meant to be protecting got beaten up   and gang-raped by a group of Uroxi who were *meant* to be allies.   Under that provocation, she seems to have taken out an unreasonable   number of opponents before defeat. Narratively, this all makes good   sense, I think.

  I think what I'm after is a skill than can't be used as often as the   normal sort, but is very powerful when it *does* trigger. Rather like   the way "decapitate foe" *doesn't* work. Nearly-Headless-Nick is not   an option here.

  What she's supposed to get is a new skill at 13. That will not give   the results I want. Something like "berserk 13" would be useable far   too often, and not give powerful enough results to notice, nothing   like the description.

  Quite possibly the skill itself will never get used again, but the   reputation will linger? Then again, she's about to become a "live"   PC, and extreme provocation might recur...

  ideas?

  To Post a message, send it to: HeroQuest-rules_at_...   To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: HeroQuest-rules-unsubscribe_at_...   To Complain constructively please email me at steve_at_....

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor