Re: Re: Defaults and who has em

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:45:52 +0100

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:47:56PM -0000, jeffrichard68 wrote:
> I think this is correct - Korlmhy Orlgardsson has no Give Birth
> ability. However, his wife Kara Darstenssdottir - by virtue of
> being an adult female - has a default Give Birth ability of 6. She
> can augment it with her Initiate of Ernalda relationship of 17 (+2),
> her Bless Mothers affinity of 17 (+2), her wealth as a carl 15 (+2),
> her midwife's Midwife affinity of 17 (+2) as well as her Midwife
> skill of 17 (+2). Voila - an augmented Give Birth ability of 16.

So without this augment-fest (e.g. a Poor non-initiate taking no special steps) one is very likely to get a Marginal or Minor failure on a yearly (?) roll, indicating I assume, no kid but no long-term deleterious consequences to the mother.

Not only am I perplexed as to the motivation for a "sim" rule for this, this mechanic seems very odd as regards the sim in question. (Unless we reverse-engineer Gloranthan reality to suit, which'd seem even odder.)

Cheers,
Alex.