Re: Re: Religion and Childbirth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 02:44:15 +0100

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:01:59PM -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
> Then, one of two things is true. Either those who do not belong to the
> mother cult are taking a big risk with themelves and their children, or the
> cults who provide this sort of support do it for everyone, not just those
> who have a relationship to the cult.

... or, the suggested scale of modifiers greatly exaggerates the degree to which specific magic is essential to the whole process, I would suggest. (Though I wouldn't say that either of the above aren't factors at all, I hasten to say.) If the net result is to make reproduction orders of magnitude more dangerous and/or unlikely without such magic, it fails my test for 'feels right for a world that's supposed to be mythically resonant with our own' both in principle, and in practice (since such circumstances aren't even that unlikely, even in Glorantha).

But if your intended application isn't Glorantha, and/or if your game world sensibilities are different, this may of course be wildly inapplicable.

Cheers,
Alex.