Re: How to do a "God-child"

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:28:34 -0700

Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...> wrote:

>> Nor do I see the character - at this point - as the actual offspring
>> of a God - rather he was conceived on a HeroQuest by two
>> HeroQuesters, both in the roles of Gods.
>
> If the offspring of the two gods in question is a known god, then the
> character might have an affinity or feats from that known god's
> arsenal.

And, y'know, I'd bet that in many cultures, this is the *usual* way of having children--you enact the "Orlanth Woos Ernalda" (or whatever) heroquest, which, not incidentally, includes having sex. In most cases, this is just a "worship" quest, taking place in the mortal world, ending in the couple's bed--but more powerful people, or people whose children are going to be important (like, say, kings), might actually enact it on the hero-plane. In any case, the child is going to resemble the child of the myth, though that still leaves some variety--your son might be Finovan, and he might be Barntar, and he might be Nandan.

Mind you, there are drawbacks to this. Making children is magical, and other magic can interfere with it. Yelm and D'Wargon both managed to screw up the trolls' "Finding Korasting's Womb" birthquest, and they've suffered for it ever since.