Re: Re: Mastery notation -- from the Continuum list, was: MG's

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:00:11 +0100

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 02:52:33PM -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
> I'll toss my hat in the ring. It seems to me that the "M" notation is there
> mostly for kewlness, as it doesn't do the function that it's supposed to. In
> all of the examples, it ends up being a divider between the two things in
> question, but doesn't say which way to look for the masteries. All of the
> suggestions are to put in another character, zero, blank, plus, carrot,
> along with it to indicate which way to look. But then why the M, other than
> as part of the direction indication scheme?
>
> None of these look good to me. As somebody said, the important thing is to
> capture the TN with a glance and to get the masteries secondarily. A simple,
> unambiguous way to do this that everyone will recognize is to use
> parentheses.

That makes the rating visually assymetric, but isn't especially suggestive (to me) of which number is which. Though maybe it doesn't need to be. (But why then the unambiguous claim?)

Note that not _all_ the suggestions have been to add another character (and btw, this _would be_ another 'add another character' scheme, at least if we're counting net...).

Cheers,
Alex.