Re: contest questions

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:07:18 -0700

Dread already got some answers before I got the digest, but here's my take.

>So Huge, basically wanting to beat the hell out of him, chose
>Unarmed combat as a primary skill.
>
>Rep wants to talk him out of it by using is Greatest warrior east of
>Kero Fin score.
>
>First question : When it is Huge's turn, can Rep defend with his
>reputation score (and if so should he get a penalty) or should he
>use a more appropriate skills like Evade Blows (augmented by his
>reputation maybe)?

I think his goal is "don't get into the fight," so Reputation is the active ability. (If the fight has begun in earnest, then this would be less appropriate, and would get a penalty or not be allowed.)

>Second question : When Rep tries to talk him down, can Huge carry on
>with his combat ability or should he used another like Determined,
>Brave or No fear (augmented by his combat score perhaps)?

I think so (especially as an Uroxi). He's weighing his combat ability against that reputation. Maybe I'm tougher than him after all? Maybe I'd like to see just how I stack up against that famous fighter?

>Third question : Since the one going first chooses his abilities and
>may well force a lower starting ability to the other (defending with
>Evade Blows instead of Greatest warrior east of Kero Fin), how do
>you determine who goes first? If we use the higher AP goes first
>option it's quite easy (Sorry Rep, Huge's ability is higher so he
>goes first. What are you gonna defend with?)

Well, since Uroxi usually bid large, Rep is out of luck. In other cases, people may bid more cautiously, in which case Rep can often go first by bragging outrageously.

>Fouth question : If the defending character decides to keep his
>highest but less appropriate ability for his first defense(thus
>incurring a penalty on the roll), does his AP starts at his ability
>value or at his ability value minus the penalty?

The net ability with modifier.

--

David Dunham