Re: contest questions

From: Dread Domain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:06:59 -0400

> The concept is great, but in Glorantha (as in certain parts of the real
world) eventually you'll have to back up your rep with action, or you'll soon get a *new* reputation (and an expensive hospital bill). Remember that reputations like this one produce the "Gunslinger Effect" - you'll end up facing people that want to take down the "greatest warrior", and specifically *can't* be bullied/talked out of it by use of the reputation - in fact, it might even be a liability for the Hero.

But isn't part of all the fun? (:-))

>Well, this is a problem to start with, since Uroxi aren't the type to back
>down from a fight just by words. Think of calming down the Incredible
>Hulk... Even when they aren't berserk, an Uroxi is as mean as a biker with a
>hangover.

But Could we just say " You can't use your reputation against him becuse he's an Uroxi", which seems a bit arbitrary or would an Uroxi would have abilities that would help counter such attack (like Brave, Intimidate, Tough or Fanatic)?

>He could defend with Reputation, augmenting with Evade blow - his reputation
>is still his primary ability, but the evade blow allows the players to
>understand why/how he's "winning" against brute force. This is necessary
>sometimes (or with some players). Of course, having a reputation as "Great
>Warrior" and dodging around a fight could be seen as cowardice, thereby
>giving a penalty to the "Great Warrior" ability. This is *very* much a
>"Listen to the description carefully" situation - if the player says "I move
>my head slightly to the side to make his fist juuust miss" that's one thing.
>If he says "I dodge and jink to avoid getting hit", that's entirely
>different. The first one is a "Cool under pressure and great control"
>description, while the second looks cowardly - a Great Warrior should be
>able to take a punch.

I admit my exemple of "Evade blow was ill choosen in this case because Rep clearly stated that he was not even trying to dodge...

>Since he is an Uroxi, I'd probably *not* give it a penalty as
>inappropriate". Depends on how I'm feeling at the moment, and how the
>players are describing their actions. But a Uroxi is supposed to think with
>his weapons.

Quite true...

>Who declares the first action is usually a good indicator. Because this is
>two player heroes duking it out (as opposed to a player hero vrs an NPC),
>someone is going to declare an action at some point. Either Huge says "Screw
>it, I punch him", or Rep says "I try to intimidate him with my Reputation".
>Whoever says "I use an Ability" first controls the contest. There will have
>been a buildup to this point, even if it was simply "Rep walks into the bar
>and says: 'I'm the greatest Warrior East of Kero Fin'."

Errr... It is so logical I wonder why I didn't think about it...

>This one is "Gamemastering as science":
>Starting AP = Ability minus Penalty (Page 66: "Each player's Starting
>Advantage Point total equals the target number of the ability he uses in his
>first round of the contest, including all modifiers and augments..." A
>penalty is a modifier.)

Ah!! Thanks!

>I think his goal is "don't get into the fight," so Reputation is the
>active ability. (If the fight has begun in earnest, then this would
>be less appropriate, and would get a penalty or not be allowed.)

Understood

Thanks to the 3 or you!