Re: Re: Geek Notation

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:36:22 +0100

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 12:23:04PM -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
> OK, I'm going to need some of the references to thes methods. Alex implied
> that the d10 method would have the same rate of crits and fumbles as the D20
> method. The "obvious" method of using 1s and 10s seems to contradict this.
> So I'm wondering what he's talking about.

Well, not a d10 method, but the particular "W is 10 TNs" I suggested, from the ever-wider food-group of same. (And same on average, not same case-by-case.) Sorry I wasn't more explicit, but I've posted on the method a few times now, and was getting mildly self-conscious about repeating myself. Anyhoo, as originally described here:

http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/heroquest-rules/2000.06/2794.html

Actually, this also came up a little while ago on some little-known HQ forum called The Forge...

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=10177

> I'm assuming with a system like this that augments are still calculated by
> dividing by ten?

IMO (and IMG) yes, by exactly your reasoning.

> I'm not sure if it wouldn't just dissappear in play. In fact, the HP
> "problem" might as well.

I think whether that's a problem or not is certainly going to depend on what a given group (and assorted other parameters), depending what a usual/desirable rate and "width" of ability increases is going to be (taking into account also other things one spends HPs on). It was a bit of an issue with our group, as we went from the d20 to the d12 system in mid-game, and didn't really want to change the bais and rationale of HP use.

Cheers,
Alex.