Re: Re: Geek Notation

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:03:40 +0100

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 03:45:39PM -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
> >Well, not a d10 method, but the particular "W is 10 TNs" I suggested,
> >from the ever-wider food-group of same. (And same on average, not same
> >case-by-case.)
>
> I'm still not reading you. It seems to me that these methods produce a
> different number on average than the standard. Were you just talking about
> the non-d20 versions?

No, I meant same as the standard HQ d20. Hrm, OK I tell a lie: _about_ the same, as at rating 10, say, they're now (approx) 1/24 chance, rather than 1/20. I suppose what I was trying to get at was, it's not out-and-out doubling the chances of crits and fumbles, as per a couple of the other d10 and d12 variants.

> Looking at the bump up and down method, I think I may try that. I like the
> open-endedness of it. You do keep rolling if you keep getting 11s or 12s,
> right? Or do you count them as success/fail after the first?

We keep rolling. This is potentially silly if one rolls an incredibly long series of 11s and 12s in alternation -- but if this becomes a regular occurrence, I plan on having my players (not PCs) swept for Trickster magic... We're playing this version on the grounds of parsimony of special cases, and occasional mild hilarity (imminent triumph to actual disaster in a couple of rolls).

One sub-variant I considered, but haven't tried is that successive 11s and successive 12s count, but after the first 11, ignore any subsequent 12s (or treat as some other result -- my first thought was to regard them as 11s, to make things a little more open-ended yet). And vice versa.

> Yeah, I think that in a long established game it would certainly be more
> problematic. That's true of changes in general. I think that I'm at an early
> enough point with one game that I might give it a try, however.

I'd be interested in hearing how it pans out, if you do give it a try.

Cheers,
Alex.