City gods

From: flynnkd2 <flynnkd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 05:47:24 -0000

Pavis is referenced ina few places as simply a City God, and his powers are oftened said to be limited to the area of his city - Pavis and the Big Rubble. I have seen other references to extending this to anywhere within sight of a shrine of Pavis.

If a player were to take a character based on being a follower of Pavis it would serverely restrict his options in what and where he can go. Say for example (and this is true actually, so not an example) such a charcter wanted to move with his fellow orlanthi over the Sartar to help in the rebellion.

Looking at this from a players view this doesnt seem overly player friendly, and somewhat restrictive. Nobody would player a follower of Pavis in such a campaign.

I can think of a few options - ignore the city god idea and get on with things - carry and establish a shrine to Pavis where-ever you go - drop the level of magic one step, so devotees are at -5 to active magic, initiates at -10/cant do it.

I was just wondering how others might handle this, or do the HQ rules actually say something about it anyplace?