Re: Initiates using feats.

From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:36:04 +0100 (BST)

Alex said on the question as to the implied "what the hell's the difference between an Initiate and a Devotee?"

"This'd be easier to 'fix' if it was clearer how the
two were supposed to differ in Glorantha: I must admit to discerning little in the way of pattern in which 'major' NPCs are devotees, and which 'just' initiates."

Ironically, the Big G always seemed to want player characters to stick as Initiates in RQ. He's finally worked out a way for HQ by making Devotees not very flexible. For long term development Initiates have far more options.

<stream_of_conciousness>

I suppose the upshot is that Devotees have fairly tightly defined functions (or related set of functions). Generally I'd say that if you're a Devotee of something you've got sod all time for anything else, while if you're an Initiate you've got a life
"outside" you cult.

If you're a Devotee of Minlister then you're probably a master brewer and don't do a lot else. If you're an Initiate you're probably still a brewer but you might be trusted with a spear or help look when a sheep goes missing one night.

So the Clan Champion is a Devotee of Destor as all he does is twat people, look like he's about to twat people, tells his back boy to clean his
other-people-twatting implement and get drunk talking about twatting people.

The head of a bloodline could be an Initiate of Destor. He can twat people (though no where near as well) but can do all sorts of other useful things like resolve disputes between his kids, manage his fields and build a longhouse. Generally he's got a wider perspective outside of twatting people.

Presumably that's why Urox and Babeestor Gor haven't got long term initiates. You're so monomaniacally directed you don't really care about anything apart from Twatting Chaos and Twatting Any Bloke That Looks At The Earth Mother In A Funny Way.

</stream_of_conciousness>

Cheers,

Ash