Re: City gods

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:13:31 -0400

There is a short discussion of this very issue in "The Shadow of Pavis." The article points out that Pavis is associated with a number of other gods (and I think most city gods would be) and that affinities can be transferred amongst dieties of the same pantheon. To use an example from the article, your Pavis worshipper might join Issaries and evoke Pavis as a sub-cult. This wouldn't allow the Pavis worshipper to keep all of his magic, but it would allow him to keep much of it.

IMG, I would be hesitant to allow the building of EFFECTIVE Pavis shrines (you can put up an altar anywhere you want, but will it work?) far afield from Pavis and the River of Cradles without such an attachment to a greater god unless some sort of HeroQuesting was done first establishing a link to the new area. I would see this as being very difficult to accomplish, because it is a re-definition of the god (also, "Evil! Godlearners! Kill Them!"). But if there is one thing the Gloranthan canon has established, it is that the gods exist to be re-defined.

Come to think of it, re-defining Pavis from being "a city god" to being "a god of cities" might make for a rather cool campaign.

Gerald

  Pavis is referenced ina few places as simply a City God, and his   powers are oftened said to be limited to the area of his city - Pavis   and the Big Rubble. I have seen other references to extending this to   anywhere within sight of a shrine of Pavis.

  If a player were to take a character based on being a follower of   Pavis it would serverely restrict his options in what and where he can   go. Say for example (and this is true actually, so not an example)   such a charcter wanted to move with his fellow orlanthi over the   Sartar to help in the rebellion.

  Looking at this from a players view this doesnt seem overly player   friendly, and somewhat restrictive. Nobody would player a follower of   Pavis in such a campaign.

  I can think of a few options - ignore the city god idea and get on   with things - carry and establish a shrine to Pavis where-ever you go

  I was just wondering how others might handle this, or do the HQ rules   actually say something about it anyplace?

  To Post a message, send it to: HeroQuest-rules_at_...   To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: HeroQuest-rules-unsubscribe_at_...   To Complain constructively please email me at steve_at_....

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor