Re: City gods

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 18:27:13 -0000

I'm not sure if this has ever been officially discussed for HQ? Because although cities had gods in RQ, it seems to me that rather like the Engizi, most people would "worship" them more as a guardian, with only a small priesthood actually taking part in full worship.

In either case, the granted powers should be phrased (or foot noted) to make clear that they work really only in and around Pavis. "Cooperation of people in Pavis" not "Cooperation" for example.

> If a player were to take a character based on being a follower of
> Pavis it would serverely restrict his options in what and where he
can
> go.

Yes, much like being a follower of Engizi or the Creek.

Say for example (and this is true actually, so not an example)
> such a charcter wanted to move with his fellow orlanthi over the
> Sartar to help in the rebellion.
>
> Looking at this from a players view this doesnt seem overly player
> friendly, and somewhat restrictive. Nobody would player a follower
of
> Pavis in such a campaign.

Well, they may well join the city cult at the "guardian" level--I think this would be a basic requirement for all full citizens of the city. AKA, being a citizen of Pavis implies you support Pavis as a guardian. Being a direct worshiper of Pavis would be an unlikely choice for a player-hero, but then again, player-heroes are known for having odd backgrounds, so you never know.

> I can think of a few options - ignore the city god idea and get on
> with things - carry and establish a shrine to Pavis where-ever you
go
> - drop the level of magic one step, so devotees are at -5 to active
> magic, initiates at -10/cant do it.

I would say that once away from Pavis all attempts to call on your affinities would take a major penalty, and once you've been away for more than about a week they would become impossible. A devotee might be able to still call on his/her feats, but many of those would in and of themselves be unsuitable for use beyond Pavis in most situations (maybe if you meet another citizen of Pavis some of them would be usable?).

In RQ I seem to recall a note suggesting membership in a city god cult was transferable. This would suggest that a Pavis worshipper could become a Boldhome worshipper, for example, when travelling, or a Farthest worshipper. somehow that doesn't feel right to me, although I could see transfer between related cities (within Dara Happan cities, within Sartarite cities). But Pavis is such an odd case that I'm not sure that would be any help there.

Good luck coming to a mutually enjoyable solution.

--Bryan